Thursday, May 24, 2012

I absolutely love this time of year when the things in my garden are ready to harvest. We have been getting lots of squash, zucchini, potatoes and plenty of greens.


With squash in abundance most of the summer I try to find different ways to prepare it. I tried a new recipe last night  from one of my boards on pinterest and my husband loved it. 

First thing you'll need to do of course is wash your squash thoroughly, then cut of the ends and slice. Place the slices into a large pot and cover with water.


Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain well and remove squash from pan. Place between layers of paper towels and pat dry then set aside.




In large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.  Saute a medium chopped onion and 2 minced garlic cloves until tender (about 5 to 6 minutes).  Remove skillet from heat. In a large mixing bowl, combine the squash, onions and garlic. Add 1 cup of bread crumbs, 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, 2 cups grated cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup freshly chopped green onions, 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley, 1 cup sour cream, 1 tsp each of salt and pepper and 2 large eggs lightly beaten. Gently stir to combine then pour into lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.

In a separate bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of melted butter, 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs,  3/4 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic salt. Mix well then sprinkle evenly over top of casserole.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until set.

For a little extra cheesy goodness, top the casserole with more shredded cheddar cheese....which is what I did!!!




INGREDIENTS:
  • 4 pounds yellow squash, sliced
  • 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
  • 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups soft breadcrumbs, divided
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
In large pot, cook squash until tender. Drain well and place the squash between paper towels to take out remaining moisture; set aside. In a skillet, melt 2 Tbsp. butter over medium-high heat; add onion and garlic, saute 5 to 6 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. In a large mixing bowl, combine the squash, onions and garlic mixture, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and the other remaining ingredients, except for the garlic salt. Spoon into a lightly greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
Melt remaining 2 Tbsp. butter and stir with remaining 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs, 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and garlic salt. Sprinkle mixture evenly over the top of the casserole. (If you want,  sprinkle another 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese on the top to make it extra cheesy.) Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until set. Makes about 8-10 servings.






4 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I'll have to try it sometime, but I may cut it in half since most of my family won't eat squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make a lot, we have five eating it and still have leftovers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa, thank you for answering my question.........I love getting to know everyone just a little bit better. Thank you for the sweetness also. Can you tell me where you found me, if you remember? Your family is beautiful!!!! It sounds like your garden is really producing!! We had some rain and then it went without other then watering ourselves. Just not like God's real rain!

    I will be trying your recipe as soon as my squash are ready.......about 4" long now......3 more on the vine!

    Hugs from my farm to yours! I just became a follower!!!!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure I can remember where I found you, maybe a search engine or a link from another blog. I've been following you for a while but have never posted a comment before. I'm really really new to the blogging community and not real sure of myself when it comes to writing. I have such a desire to share my love for homemaking and thought blogging would be a good way of doing that. Looking forward to getting to know you.
      Teresa

      Delete