Thursday, August 9, 2012

Canning Beets Part 2

Sorry it has taken so long to post part 2 of the beet pickling process. My daughter had her sweet baby girl not long after the posting of part 1 and I just now have the time to sit down and get it typed up. I'll be writing a post about our sweet new granddaughter (who is already 2 months old) very soon. In the meantime, Pickled Beets: Part 2

Here's what you'll need. Pickling salt, Vinegar (labeled 5% acidity), Cinnamon Sticks, Whole Cloves, sugar (sorry, not pictured), Onions (optional) and of course, your beets that have been prepared (see part 1).



I use the recipe from the Kerr Kitchen Cookbook . My mother-in-law gave me this cookbook years ago and has many great recipes.
You will need 6-7 pounds of sliced beets per batch. The complete recipes is as follows:

PICKLED BEETS

6-7 pounds beets
water
4 cups cider vinegar (labeled 5% acidity)
2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoon pickling salt
2 (2-inch) cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
1 medium onion, sliced (optional)

Wash beets. Trim tops leaving 3 inches of tops and roots. Place beets in an 8-10 quart saucepan and cover with water. Cover and cook beets over medium-high heat until skins slip off easily, 20-30 minutes. Drain and discard water. Trim off tops and roots. Slip off skins. Slice beets 1/4 inch thick. Tie spices in spice bag or cheesecloth. In a 4 to 6 quart saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, water, pickling salt and spice bag. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Add beets and onions. Cook 5 minutes. Remove spices. Immediately fill hot pint jars with beets leaving 1/2 inch head-space. (Instructions for preparing your jars and lids) .  Pour hot vinegar mixture into jars, leaving 1/2 inch head-space. Carefully run a non-metallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and screw bands on firmly. Process in boiling water canner for 30 minutes. Yield: 7 pints. (Water Bath Canning Tutorial)


1 comment:

  1. I don't know if you did anything different or not, but I loved the 2nd batch much better than the first. :) They didn't seem quite so strong with the cloves and vinegar. And I had no idea there were cinnamon sticks in there!! Also, this is just me, but I preferred them without the onions. I remember asking Aunt Jannice once if she knew how Nene made her beets, and she told me that she just used equal parts of the beet water, vinegar, and sugar.

    ReplyDelete